A humbling experience...

Marshall and I sat down with our boys tonight.  We introduced them to the Dave Ramsey Financial Peace Jr. (yes, I am a huge advocate!) packets.  Boy am I glad we did.  Zach and Caleb, throughout seemed interested, then uninterested (Zach).  It is a CD they listen to & it explains all that is in the packet...but by the time we sat down and actually did the calculations of what they "GIVE", "SAVE" & "SPEND" (in their coordinating cute envelopes that come with the packets), their eyes started to light up.

The thing that touched me the most about this night - we introduced tithing to them (the GIVE envelope) - Zachary was all excited to pay it and calculated it with me, with their little calculator that comes with it.  Then as I was filling out the tithing receipt for Zach while Marshall was telling them where tithing goes...welfare, help build temples, crisis...He went on to tell about the Haiti earthquake crisis that is happening as we speak.  Zach piped up and said, "I want to give all my money to tithing to help the people."  Mind you, he has been saving up for quite a while.  I was shocked.  We told him what a sacrifice that was for him and praised him for his - - sweet, innocent - ness?  I just about balled with happiness in knowing he got it.  We told him he didn't have to, but if he wanted to, that would be wonderful.  Then we proceeded to show him where to put tithing and where to put the rest for 'humanitarian efforts/aid'.  He was incredibly straight minded about it with no hesitation.  The joy he felt was almost palpable from him.  

That kid amazes me with his big heart.  Caleb soon followed suit with his sweet contribution, and the spirit that was felt tonight with my 6 & 9 year old was overwhelming!  What a cool way to help these kids understand the importance of giving! Marshall and I couldn't help giving each other that "It got through & then some" look of satisfaction!  What a great night!  Looks like their futures may turn out alright after all!

Comments

Tiffany said…
Ahhh...so sweet, Zachary!

Popular Posts